Monday, December 31, 2012

"Freewilly's Stockpicker blog, Thirteen for 2013 stock picks. A roundtable of selections with just me at the table picking."

Dow Jones Industrial Average 12,938.11 (Down) Week ending 12-28-2012

Well, it is that time of year when we whisk together that great alchemy of prognostication that we call the "yearly stock picks".  Barron's does their Round table conversations this time of year with a bunch of the great financial investors of the world who present their ideas and picks for the new year. I have a much smaller cafe table that I work at to make my picks and I am the only one at my table making the picks. So without further ado, here are my top 13 picks to invest in for the new year.


Freewilly’s Stockpicker Blog “13 for 2013”

MasterCard Inc. (Symbol MA)
Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. (Symbol CMG)
Facebook (Symbol FB)
PetSmart Inc. (Symbol PETM)
Whole Foods Markets (WFM)
Davita Healthcare Partners Inc. (Symbol DVA)
Phillip Morris International Inc. (Symbol PM)
Borg Warner Inc. (Symbol BWA)
Scripps Network Interactive Inc. (Symbol SNI)
Anheuser- Busch Inbev SA  (Symbol BUD)
Celgene Inc. (Symbol CELG)
Diageo Inc. (Symbol DEO)
Ebay Inc. (Symbol EBAY)


I think this portfolio has a very "Peter Lynch" flavor to it. There are a lot of high dollar trading stocks, yet these stocks seem to me to all be undervalued based on their growth.  These are stocks that have a good outlook for the next 1 to 3 years and I feel will give you the best return with no downside surprises. I think there will be many downside surprises in 2013 from all the changes that the government is making. In that sense, my picks are really defensive, because they are defended by their growth.  I think many slow growth/ high dividend stocks that have done well in 2012, will be under pressure in the new year and sell off. They seem to be trading at higher PE's than is sustainable for those type of stocks.

I also have some stocks that get honorable mention for 2013, buy could not break into the list above, and will not be counted in my tally at the end of 2013. Apple (AAPL) , Microsoft (MSFT), Nissan Motors (NSANY), Gilead Sciences (GILD), Yahoo (YHOO), Panera Bread (PNRA) , and Nam Tai Electronics (NTE). 



So get together with your friends and discuss them while your drinking your toast on New Year's Eve and then comment on the blog and offer other better ideas if you have them. (No Penny stocks please, we don't buy them at anytime!). See you on the other side, in 2013.

Freewilly





2 comments:

  1. Swapna greetings. 08-23-2015. Our markets have corrected and are now 10.9% off of our highs in the Dow Jones Average.(18,300 down to 16,459.75). We have fallen mostly in regards to the Chinese markets slowing a bit and the devaluing of currencies around the world. We actually needed to have a correction on some of the growth names. There are some good buys in the market that I will write about this week, but I do not think we have hit a bottom yet here in the markets. Thanks for commenting, Freewilly

    ReplyDelete